I'm picking out a thermos for you

Friday, March 03, 2006

Resident Tourist: The Getty Center



Thanks to a visit from my old friend A. and his ladyfriend S. last weekend, I visited one of my favorite LA spots (which I hadn't been to in a couple of years): the Getty Center.

Perched high above the 405, the architecture of the museum is the main attraction. The glorious white travertine and undulating surfaces, combined with gorgeous views of LA (when it's not smoggy), the building is awesome. A shining monument on a hill.

And the art?? Pretty good, too, but not incredible. They've got a pretty good exhibit on Courbet right now that I would recommend, and some of their permanent features are cool, but on the whole, the art collection isn't as good as somewhere like the Norton Simon.

But given that admission is free and parking is only $7, I'd highly recommend the Getty to anyone, resident or tourist, especially now during "winter," when you're more likely to avoid the smog and actually see the ocean.

1 Comments:

  • i LOVE Courbet, although some of his stuff is a little we-ird!

    By Blogger diebenkorn, at 6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home