I'm picking out a thermos for you

Monday, May 08, 2006

Random LA band you should know: Silversun Pickups

I don't pretend to know much about the underground or unsigned LA music scene, but occasionally even I stumble across an up-and-coming young band that really strikes a chord. And so let me do my part in spreading the word about my occasional finds with you, dear reader.

Without further ado, Monday's randomly awesome band you should know: The Silversun Pickups.

I am a huge fan of the track Kissing Families (and not just because I'm married to my first cousin), as well as the song Creation Lake, which can be found on their EP Pikul. I'd call their music lo-fi, featuring some growling guitars interspersed with delicate melodies.

But the true reason that I will forever love the SSPU is that I saw them play at an EP release party at Echo Park's wonderful Sea Level Records. Sure, they put on a good show (while the lead singer swigged scotch in between songs), but more importantly, they brought beer. Any band that brings me beer and plays good music gets major props from Thermos.

You can also give their music a listen on MySpace (no self-respecting band can live without a MySpace page).

1 Comments:

  • That story about them giving out free beer at the show is classic.

    By Blogger minijonb, at 1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home